The Trevithick Society is over 80 years old and counting…

Making it one of the oldest & most established industrial heritage charities in the world!

JOIN US NOW!

Trev’s Blog

Publications update

Publications update

As indicated in the last Newsletter, our Wheal Trewavas book was launched at the AGM weekend and is now generally available, price £10.00.

Also as announced at the AGM, the Society has decided to mark the centenary of the Levant Disaster with a book. This will be in the nature of an anthology; it will include material on the disaster but we also see it as an opportunity to publish recent research on the history of Levant. We are therefore appealing for hitherto unpublished material about the mine and any recent research or work in progress, which authors feel appropriate to such a volume. We would also welcome proposed articles which could be ready for a publication date of autumn 2019 for discussion. I am happy to say that my appeal at the AGM has already borne fruit with a number of suggestions. I know that October 2019 seems a long way off but we need to start planning now. It remains a Society ambition to publish a definitive history of Levant in due but that is still some way in the future.

Our autumn offering returns to the Tamar Valley. William Woolcock was a Mine Captain at Devon Great Consols and we are publishing his diary spanning the years 1886 to 1900. Authors, Rick Stewart and Robert Waterhouse have joined forces to transcribe, edit and explain this most interesting picture of the final years at DGC.
Graham Thorne

Wheal Trewavas

Wheal Trewavas

Wheal Trewavas was never a mine of significance. It is best known, if at all,...

Keith Letchford

Keith Letchford

The Council are deeply sorry to announce the passing of Keith Letchford on...

What we do?

As a Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation, number 1159639, the Society aims to encourage an interest in Cornwall’s Industrial Heritage through lectures, outings and other meetings and by publishing the results of individual research through its website, journal and other publications.

The Society encourages the sympathetic re-use of redundant industrial buildings along with the statutory protection and preservation of prime examples of all types. It sees recording as an important part of its work where the preservation of a monument is not possible.

The Society maintains close links with numerous public and private bodies having common interests, both at a local and national level, and is affiliated to the Association for Industrial Archaeology and the National Association of Mining History Organisations.

Throughout the year the Society hosts lectures on a range of topics at its centres at King Edward Mine near Camborne and The Public Hall in Liskeard. All lectures are free to members.

The Society’s Annual General Meeting, which includes organised field trips, is also open to all members.

Dangerous Places

Searching for anything specific in old newspapers is one of the hardest tasks that an historian can try to do. The reason for this is that, by their very nature, the papers contain news items. Trying to maintain focus for one specific topic is all well and good for research, but it does mean missing things and hence research slows down and becomes a series of tangents; progress is therefore usually a bit like Tarzan swinging through the trees.

For very many reasons, mines are dangerous places, not just the obvious problems underground, and the huge bits of kit used at surface. And, just like abandoned spiders’ webs can trap unwary flies, mine workings can trap unwary travellers.

In April 1852 four people were going from St Just to Penzance in an open carriage. On reaching the common land to the east, the horse, perhaps realising hazards ahead, became ‘restive’. ‘Restive’ soon became panic, and the horse, plus carriage and occupants, bolted. At this point the vehicle had reached the abandoned workings of Wheal Fortune and the wheels on one side of the carriage ran over the corner of a shaft. While being comparatively shallow, just 27 fathoms, it contained 20 fathoms of water up to the adit level. One of the male passengers decided to jump out of the carriage to try to check the horse. Unfortunately he did this at the point that the carriage reached the shaft and he disappeared down it, head-first. Remarkably he hit some timberwork in the shaft and rebounded into the adit!. A miner, possibly from the nearby Balleswidden Mine, helped extricate the man and brush him off. Apart from a scratched forehead the man was fine, and set off for a less interesting trip to Penzance.

Another trap for the unwary was discovered in March 1873. Late one Saturday night the engine-man at Wheal Owles (most likely the stamps at the Grouse section at the eastern end of the Kenidjack Valley) heard screams from outside. Being somewhat concerned that someone could have been caught up in the machinery, he stopped the engine and went outside. Luckily he was not presented with the blood and gore he was perhaps expecting; he was however met by the curious sight of one Henry Bottrell, miner and rather drunk, in the engine pond. Bottrell was having problems keeping his head out of the water but was, apparently with some difficulty, rescued from his rather damp situation.

Another danger, literally out of the blue, was reported in September 1843 at Parknoweth Mine, just south of Botallack. Thomas and James Bennetts and Richard Downing were working about 110 fathoms from surface during a thunder storm when lightning apparently struck the hoisting chain going down the shaft. All three received an electric shock and ‘for a short time, were deprived of their senses’. Luckily none received any other injuries.

Amazingly, this event was duplicated at Carnyorth Mine, to the north of Botallack, in November 1868. The latter storm was described as ‘one of the most tremendous thunder storms known in St Just’. The shock from the lightning strike travelled 50 fathoms down the shaft; here it struck Henry Boyns in the arm while Hugh Lanyon was rendered speechless. Both men thought a gun had been fired at them. The shock was reported to have travelled another 300 fathoms underground, though there were no shafts this deep in the area, and then 300 fathoms along a tramroad. At this point Richard Angwin received a shock to the foot and William Tresise to the chest; apparently everyone working underground received a shock. The storm was not done however. Above ground lightning struck the engine house at Carnyorth where it split one of the springbeams, knocked the stairs ‘to pieces’ and damaged windows, roof and stack. A man called Archer, who was working at the stamps, was knocked backwards while the arms of the round buddle were knocked away.

Subscribe

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Free eBook

An Introduction to Cornwall's Industrial Heritage

Liskeard District Industrial Heritage Podcasts

Liskeard District Industrial Heritage Podcasts

News from some of our Friends

Goosey Goo

Northern Mine Research Society

Wheal Martyn

Make a donation to the Trevithick Society