The Trevithick Society is over 80 years old and counting…

Making it one of the oldest & most established industrial heritage charities in the world!

JOIN US NOW!

Trev’s Blog

Autumn publication now published

The Notebook of a Devon Great Consols Mine Captain: 1886 – 1900       by William Woolcock has now been published.
    
William Woolcock worked at Devon Great Consols during the later years of  the mine’s decline. His notebook has been transcribed by well known Society authors, Rick Stewart and Robert Waterhouse who have also provided a detailed background commentary.
The years covered in the diary find the once great copper mine struggling to survive, mainly through sales of arsenic. This was also the period when Devon Great Consols was engaged in an ultimately fruitless search for tin at depth. Woolcock working at Wheal Emma was much involved in this.
The book is now available from Tormark on the same basis as previous Society publications.
Full details:
Woolcock, William, The Notebook of a Devon Great Consols Mine Captain 1886 – 1900, compiled by R J Stewart & R E Waterhouse, A4 paperback, 68 pages, RRP £11, ISBN 978-0-9935021-6-3.
Keith Letchford

Keith Letchford

The Council are deeply sorry to announce the passing of Keith Letchford on...

What we do?

As a Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation, number 1159639, the Society aims to encourage an interest in Cornwall’s Industrial Heritage through lectures, outings and other meetings and by publishing the results of individual research through its website, journal and other publications.

The Society encourages the sympathetic re-use of redundant industrial buildings along with the statutory protection and preservation of prime examples of all types. It sees recording as an important part of its work where the preservation of a monument is not possible.

The Society maintains close links with numerous public and private bodies having common interests, both at a local and national level, and is affiliated to the Association for Industrial Archaeology and the National Association of Mining History Organisations.

Throughout the year the Society hosts lectures on a range of topics at its centres at King Edward Mine near Camborne and The Public Hall in Liskeard. All lectures are free to members.

The Society’s Annual General Meeting, which includes organised field trips, is also open to all members.

Theft from mines

Theft from mines has been a consistent feature throughout the history of Cornish mining and a rather odd case was reported from Wheal Tolgus in March 1833. On the 16th February John Reynolds, one of the tributers, had raised some copper ore and left it near the shaft where he had been working. The following day some of the ore was missing but there was some evidence in the form of footprints leading 20 yards from the ore pile to a hedge; a potential clue was that some of the marks had been made by someone with a wooden leg. Near the end of the prints Reynolds found a couple of stones of ore of the same sort that he had been raising. Eventually Athanasius Bray and Augustin Seller were indicted for the crime; both were miners at Wheal Tolgus and Bray had a wooden leg. The two later admitted to the offence and were sentenced to 15 months imprisonment with hard labour, most likely at Bodmin gaol.

 

Subscribe

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Free eBook

An Introduction to Cornwall's Industrial Heritage

Liskeard District Industrial Heritage Podcasts

Liskeard District Industrial Heritage Podcasts

News from some of our Friends

Goosey Goo

No feed items found.

Northern Mine Research Society

No feed items found.

Wheal Martyn

No feed items found.

Make a donation to the Trevithick Society