A striking landmark in West Penwith is the Greenburrow engine-house of Ding Dong Mine, visible in all directions from its lofty moorland perch. In contrast the story of the mine itself is relatively unknown.
Numerous small tinworks were operating in this area in the 17th century while Ding Dong Mine is mentioned as far back as 1751.
In the 1790s it was the scene of legal wrangles between Richard Trevithick and Boulton & Watt. In the early 19th century Ding Dong Mine amalgamated with the adjacent Wheal Malkin and worked more or less successfully until 1877.
In its final 20 years of operation Ding Dong produced nearly 3,000 tons of black tin at a value of just under £155,000.
This history also includes studies of the adjacent East, North and South Ding Dong Mines; West Ding Dong, lying several miles away, is not included.
The book also contains valuable wider insights into the early years of the tin industry of west Cornwall.